so I know I am a dork but its that time again tomorrow I am getting a new passport
passport related things in my head:
I am finally a big girl this time I no longer need my parents signing my life away, I get to do it sign the oath and fill out the paperwork myself. The whole thing excites me I get to be in charge. I can't help feeling that is means something, something more than just a simple passport.
My three previous passports have each only lasted 5 years so when I finally got enough stamps for an insert the thing expired! Just when it got interesting i had to start over. This one, the new one, will last me for ten years so I get the chance to fill it up and get some lettered inserts.
when it expires I will be 26, that seems old. It makes me wonder, what will I be in ten years?
Will 16 year old me be proud of 26 year old me? What if I'm not what if I screw up and end up being nobody and not doing anything and I simply watch time go by and leave this world having changed nothing, left no mark. Will my 26 year old passport be covered in the lace of the customs clerk's careless stamps or blank and barren?
I know crazy right why the hell am I getting so nostalgic over a paper book. To me it is more than that. Traveling is such a part of who I am and each stamp of each country is also a stamp on my heart where I remember the joy, suffering, kindness, love and hate of the people I meet. By flipping through those blue pages I see more than stamps of entry and exit, I see faces of the people I have meet, remember the beauty I saw, smell the fragrances of cities and forests. That little blue book shows the dates I entered and exited countries, memories I cherish.
But what if at 26 there are no such memories I have forgotten the things I love now. I have forgotten the suffering of my fellow humans and my drive to do something to help them.
Things I can do at 26 I can't do now:
vote
go to bars
see R movies (and X too :p)
join the army
not go to school
get sent to jail
not live with my parents
travel by myself
get married
Monday, December 29, 2008
Passport
Posted by Morgan at 11:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment